The conditional tense is compulsory in politics whereas in architecture, according to Chipperfield, discovering common ground forces people to take a step back from themselves and their work, especially if they occupy a prominent position. If we take a look at the contemporary scenario, we may form an impression of it that does not match the reality. A number of good-quality individual buildings may make us think that architecture is in "good health" but these only represent 1% of the whole and the remaining 99% has actually abdicated from playing a positive role. Chipperfield also stresses that the designers of this 1% are not isolated from each other. They are, of course, archistars, but their paths often cross and influence each other.
Therefore, it wasn't a call to order that the British architect launched on 2 May in the Aula Magna of the Faculty of Architecture in Rome, but rather a strategy of comparison. Chipperfield has instilled the art of doubt in the authors involved in his project, asking them to establish a common dialogue and rediscover the "collective force of architecture." Rather than acting as a negotiator, his role is to trigger chemical reactions between people. There is no single way to look collectively at the world. Chipperfield believes the many paths are often diametrically opposite.
This Biennale is like a tree. Chipperfield started out with an initial selection of curators who, in turn, involved other people. This set in motion what the British architect has described as a very encouraging mechanism of self-curatorship
13th International Architecture Exhibition Common Ground
Giardini — Arsenale, Venice
Open 10:00 to 18:00
Closed Mondays (except Monday 3 September and Monday 19 November 2012)