Batek Architekten renovated a 1933 cinema in Berlin’s Pankow district. Owned by the Yorck Kinogruppe company, the Blauer Stern is housed in a late nineteenth century building, initially used as a dance hall and only later converted into a cinema.
The Berlin studio’s intervention makes this historic place suitable for contemporary needs through careful distribution of spaces, the inclusion of luminous elements and the use of vivid colours.
In the foyer, a glass partition was removed to create a large hall with a curved bench and a counter with a textured surface. The first auditorium is unified by the presence of a row of arches and the walls fabric covering, with a pattern inspired by Mechtild van Ahler’s Lange Reise.
Intense red becomes the protagonist of the space, defining corridor, ceiling, stage curtain and velvet chairs, as well as marking the counter and mobile snack bar in the foyer. The old lozenge decoration of the mouldings inspires the lighting: LED lights create a diagonal pattern on the ceiling.
- Blauer Stern
- Berlin, Germany
- Batek Architekten
- Design team:
- Anke Müller, Julia Jensen, Patrick Batek
- Area :
- 435 sqm