Concentric lines, colors, Proust decoration: these are the elements of the children's table set designed by Alessandro Mendini for Alessi to accompany the little ones to discover the mise en place. Alberto Alessi writes: “The idea of entrusting Alessandro Mendini with the theme of table service for children was due to a sort of logic of opposites: Sandro, in addition to being my beloved and unreachable master, is in fact the oldest among the authors Alessi in activity and I came to think that it would be nice to see him take in the child's hand and completely unusual for him”. The service consists of a plate, bowl and glass in fine bone china, stainless steel tableware and a round melamine tray.
All the pieces have been designed to be playful and functional at the same time:
- the flat plate has a containing flap, slightly raised;
- the bowl, round and capacious, is suitable to contain different types of food such as pasta or soups, milk or yogurt;
- the glass is provided with two handles that favor the use also by children who have not yet developed safe movements. The handles are not perfectly parallel to the container but are slightly inclined in two opposite directions, creating an unexpected and playful shape.
- the rounded handle of the cutlery facilitates grip and is pleasant to the touch. The blade of the knife and the prongs of the forks are beveled, in order to handle the cutlery in complete safety.
- the round tray can be used to serve breakfast or a snack, as a placemat during the meal or as a support when not seated at the table.
- Alessandro Mendini